Question:
I need to know how to roast fresh chestnuts. Could some one give me the process . Thanks?
chip41055
2006-02-02 17:04:12 UTC
I need to know how to roast fresh chestnuts. Could some one give me the process . Thanks?
Six answers:
antott523
2006-02-08 09:52:15 UTC
You all forgot one important thing. To give the chestnuts the best taste do this:

When you slit the top, let them soak in your choice of either wine, or some type of brandy. This really makes for a delicious batch of roasted chestnuts. Let them soak up that booze for a few hours before you put em in the oven.
Smiles
2006-02-03 01:14:18 UTC
TO ROAST FRESH CHESTNUTS

Special equipment: a chestnut knife and protective gloves

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Make a large X with a chestnut knife or sharp paring knife on flat side of each chestnut through the shell but not the meat. Soak chestnuts in a bowl of warm water to cover by 2 inches for 15 minutes, then drain well. Roast in 1 layer in a shallow baking pan in middle of oven until shell curls away at X mark, about 15 minutes. Wearing protective gloves, peel away shells from chestnuts while still hot. Blanch chestnuts in boiling water 2 minutes and drain. Rub in a kitchen towel to remove skins.
zuzu_2u
2006-02-03 01:08:27 UTC
ROAST CHESTNUTS

Select large, firm unshelled chestnuts. Wash thoroughly. Cut across slit on the top to allow steam to escape while baking. Lay on flat cookie sheet and bake quick oven at 400 to 500 degrees for about 15 minutes. Remove from shell by pulling back on slit ends. Good served with steamed brown rice. Roasted chestnuts may be used in stuffing, too.
kadel
2006-02-05 15:14:57 UTC
Cut a cross in the top of each chestnut. Put them on a baking pan and bake in the oven at 350 degrees until the tops peel back along the cross and the top browns a little. I think that's about 1/2 hour
Gangsta Penguin
2006-02-03 01:06:47 UTC
well you can buy nut roasters at target for like 20 bucks that come with instructions, by the way the nuts that they make are delicious
2006-02-03 01:08:14 UTC
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0SO7C7crOJDm3cBsTJXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE1ZDJvY3A5BGNvbG8DZQRsA1dTMQRwb3MDMQRzZWMDc3IEdnRpZANERlgwXzM-/SIG=12mhmp92i/EXP=1139015260/**http%3a//www.culinarycafe.com/Holiday_Favorites/Roast_Chestnuts.html